Friday, March 19, 2010

First Post

Many thanks to Jenny for talking about her blog so much, she made me interested in starting one of my own!

My first thought in creating a blog was: what am I willing to share with total strangers and even more daunting, what was I willing to share with people I know? But, as I get older, I am less concerned with what others think of me and more hopeful that what I share can help others or at least open their eyes to something different. Maybe something wonderful. So, for that, I am throwing the censors out and letting the truth in.

I wanted to do write something about weight and getting into shape...blah, blah, blah, but after my husband threw the scale out of the window, I changed my thought process. Granted, getting into shape, weighing less is always something I've strived for in my life, but I'm slowly releasing that burden. Without that "monkey on my back" I'm actually feeling much more healthy and lighter on my feet than I've been in a long time. By any means, I don't think it's okay to be unhealthy and overweight, but once I stopped obsessing over it and once my mind was in a better place, the choices I made became easier and the weight-loss part followed. I still have a ways to go, but my goal has changed from wanting to be a certain size/weight by summer to wanting to feel good about myself (regardless of a number on a scale or the size of my pants) every season of the year, not just when the weather's warm and there's no hiding in bulky sweaters. It's a process. It's a journey. It's pretty much never ending, but it's also fail-proof. Eliminating the pressure of trying to look an unrealistic way in an unrealistic amount of time was too much pressure and if I wasn't "there" by June, I was a failure. That's not the route I'm interested in taking anymore....the road less traveled is for me. I would love one day that "the road less traveled" would be jammed packed with tons of traffic because everyone would decide this is a much better way to travel.

I have found this epiphany through yoga.


to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment